A sudden outburst of fire at Travellers’ site killed ten people including a six-month-old child. On Saturday, around 0400 local time, the Emergency services were called to Glenamuck Road in Carrickmines, County Dublin.
At the scene:
- The fire broke out at a pre-fabricated building and spread rapidly, reported Dublin Fire Brigade.
- Six fire appliances were sent to the scene.
- The forensic investigation is in process and the place has been sealed.
- Most of the victims were members of two families.
- The victims include a husband and wife with their five children. One among them is a six-month-old child. One other child died in a hospital.
- Two adults injured in the blaze are being treated in hospital for the effects of breathing in smoke.
- The paramedics risked their lives to rescue children from the fire.
Enda Kenny, the Irish prime minister, said,
“It’s such an unspeakable tragedy to have an entire family wiped out in a horrific inferno.”
Irish President, Michael D Higgins commented: