Mr. Kitack Lim, the new Secretary-General of the International Maritime Organization beginning from 1 January 2016, laid out his priorities for his upcoming tenure.
Vision to Strengthen Partnerships –
- Between developing and developed countries,
- Between governments and industry,
- Between IMO Member States and regions, and
- Establish communication between the maritime industry and the general public.
Mr Lim Said :
I see IMO acting as a bridge between all these stakeholders in what I have referred to as “a voyage together”.
For my part, I plan to concentrate on several overarching objectives:
- Effective implementation of international conventions and regulations
- Building capacity in developing countries, particularly small island developing states and least developed countries
- Promoting IMO’s global status
- Contributing to shared growth for all Member States
- The efficient performance of the Secretariat.
As the servant of the Member States and on behalf of the Secretariat, I will work proactively to ensure that, through consensus and cooperation among its Member States, IMO continues to develop and deliver on its mission.