Prelude FLNG is the world’s first Floating Liquefied Natural Gas project being constructed for Shell. The construction is at top speed and has reached the final stage of construction.
The year 2015 has been an extraordinary year for the construction of Prelude along with the preparations for the facility’s operation. The final construction is being done at Samsung Heavy Industries which includes:
- Installation of the last giant topside module
- Construction of storage tanks inside the hull
- Completion of a 17-kilometre long mooring chain
- Prelude will help unlock new energy resources offshore and has the potential to revolutionise the way natural gas resources are developed.
- It is located some 200 kilometres (around 125 miles) off Australia’s north-west coast.
- The giant floating facility will be used as Prelude Gas field initially, which will liquefy natural gas at sea.
- FLNG will be used to access offshore gas fields that would otherwise be too costly or difficult to develop.
- The facility will have decks measuring 488 by 74 metres, making it longer than four soccer fields.
Watch the video featuring the final stages of construction.
Source: Shell On YouTube