- A mechanical engineer can get a job in merchant navy by becoming a marine engineer using mechanical degree.
- Many subjects are in common which makes it easier for a mechanical engineer to get an additional degree in Marine.
- This opens many doors of opportunity in marine industry.
- In the shipping industry, there is a shortage of maritime professional and lack of quality mechanical engineering jobs in the market.
- This gives an ideal opportunity of taking marine engineering for the mechanical engineers.
- The best part in pursuing marine engineering after mechanical engineering is no need of 4 years’ training, which a direct marine engineer has to undergo.
- This one year course would give the license to enter merchant navy.
Certain requirements to join the course.
- Graduation in BE Mechanical/ Naval architecture with minimum 50% marks in final year.
- must have 50% minimum marks in English language at 10th or 12th or in degree exam.
- must be below 28 years of age.
- all the health requirements should be satisfied to join merchant navy.
INSTITUTES OFFERING THE COURSE:
- International Maritime Institute Ltd., Greater Noida.
- Samundra Institute of Maritime studies, Lonavala, Maharashtra.
- Vel’s Academy of Maritime Education & Training, Chennai.
- Garden Reach Ship Builders & Engineers Ltd., Kolkata.
- Academy of Maritime Education & Training, Chennai.
Different procedures for each institute and so candidate should contact the institute directly for information about the course.