Australia’s Westpac Rescue Helicopter service said that a Filipino member crew in his 30’s, suffered severe abdominal pain onboard the Panama-flagged coal carrier Sage Sagittarius, ‘The Death Ship’. He was airlifted from the ship and was taken to John Hunter hospital this morning. The ship has attracted media attention since 2012, after a series of inquests about the deaths onboard. The name ‘Death Ship’ has emerged with the following incidents which happened on board “Sage Sagittarius”.
- Investigations were ordered by New South Wales Coroner Court for two or three deaths occurred onboard the ship three years ago in Australian Waters.
- In April 2012, Cesar Llanto, the then vessel’s Chief Cook went missing in Coral Sea.
- Soon after the above incident, Hector Collado – former Chief Engineer- died on board after sustaining injuries from a fall.
- A Worker was crushed to death in a Conveyor belt during cargo operations.
- A Captain was accused of bribery for selling arms.
and the Inquests continues on board the ‘Death Ship’.