Two Bunker companies Trefoil and SK Energy join hands in supplying ULSFO in ARA area (Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Antwerp). It is to be noted that not all ports have a consistent supply of ULSFO.
This joint venture could enable more ships to burn ULSFO instead of LSMGO – which has change over, low viscosity and Lubricity problems.
Though it is nice to know that more oil suppliers are coming forward to offer ULSFO – Please note that ECA compliance with LSMGO actually costs less.
If any of the Ship Managers or Technical Superintendents wish to opt for the ULSFO – please note the below points: (These points are applicable to any ULSFO).
- Compatibility with other fuels,
- Pour point – as many such fuels tend to have higher Pour point,
- Transfer and storage temperatures,
- Lubricity Properties,
- Requires a dedicated storage tank,
- Availability for subsequent usage,
- Usage of Lubricating oils (Cylinder oils and crankcase oils for Diesel generators) to match the ULSFO,
- Fuel Changeover Procedures,
- Long Term Storage Stability, and last but not least –
- Ensure that these fuels or the supplier has Obtained a “No Objection Certificate” from the engine makers – to ensure that the engine has been tested on these fuels.
If you have any further queries, do post your comments.