The video shows a 23-foot propeller which gets cast in one piece, an alloy of eight metals – mostly copper- at 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit. It takes five days for it to cool into one big lump and then workers have to extract the propeller from its mold without damaging it.
In particular, it is noted that an ultra- efficient propeller is crucial, as the vessel is expected to travel for 124 million miles, which corresponds in 5 times the distance to the moon.
The procedure lasts for several days and includes:
- the casting uses 8 metals,
- the challenging task of breaking the propeller out of its mold without damaging it,
- the achievement of making every surface as smooth as possible, shaving it off, to maximize effectiveness
- the painting, to keep the rust away
- the fitting on the vessel
Disclaimer: This video is intended for informational purpose only. This may not be construed as a news item or advice of any sort. Please consult the experts in that field for the authenticity of the presentations.
Did you subscribe for our daily newsletter?
It’s Free! Click here to Subscribe!
Source: Science Channel on YouTube