2015::General Dynamics NASSCO Delivers 3 Lead Ships
General Dynamics NASSCO delivered three lead ships in 2015. They are USNS Lewis B. Puller, the Isla Bella and the Lone Star State. Each vessel represents three new and separate ship classes. They feature the diverse portfolio of commercial and government contracts for the San Diego-based shipbuilding company.
NASSCO delivered the USNS Lewis B. Puller to the U.S. Navy in June. This was the first ship in the Expeditionary Base Mobile (ESB) class.
Highlight features & capabilities of 784’ long ship:
- A 52,000 square-foot flight deck
- Fuel and equipment storage
- Mission planning spaces
- Accommodations for up to 250 personnel
- Multiple missions
- Counter-piracy operations
- Marine security operations
- Humanitarian aid
- Disaster relief operations
- Support helicopters
NASSCO delivered the world’s first liquefied natural gas (LNG) powered containership, the Isla Bella, to TOTE nearly two months ahead of schedule in October, 2015.
- They are the cleanest cargo-carrying ships anywhere in the world
- Ground-breaking technology adopted
- Capable of diverse missions
- Decrease in emissions
- Increase in fuel efficiency
Lastly, NASSCO delivered the first ECO Class tanker, the Lone Star State, to American Petroleum Tankers (APT).
- The design and construction of five 50,000 deadweight-ton.
- LNG-conversion-ready product tankers with a 330,000 barrel cargo capacity.
- New “ECO” design – significantly improved fuel efficiency and the latest environmental protection features.
- 33 percent more fuel-efficient.