A Fan Set Ship on Fire, Contained Off Spain

154

  • A wall-mounted fan in one of the sleeping quarters seized and caught fire.
  • The blaze was extinguished on time by the members of the fire service.
  • There were no injuries,and the initial estimate for damage is over US$5,000.

A  wall-mounted fan in one of the sleeping quarters seized and caught fire, engulfing the room .Members of the Fire Service who responded to a fire on a cargo ship named Atlantic Provider, which is currently docked in Port-of-Spain, were able to extinguish the blaze on time and prevent it from spreading to other parts of the vessel.

Fire on ship

Police said “at about 5.17 pm on Wednesday smoke was seen from the first floor of the vessel, which is docked close to the breakfast shed”.

The crew members quickly attempted to contain the fire and notified the police and fire officers.

At the time, police said, ”the vessel was being repaired by a team of four people and a wall-mounted fan in one of the sleeping quarters seized and caught fire, engulfing the room”.

Within minutes fire officers from the nearby Wrightson Road Fire Station arrived on the scene and were able to contain and extinguish the blaze on time.

Members of the Fire Service who responded to a fire on a cargo ship named Atlantic Provider, which is currently docked in Port-of-Spain, were able to extinguish the blaze on time and prevent it from spreading to other parts of the vessel.

There were no injuries, however, the initial estimate for damage is over US$5,000.

Atlantic Provider

It was used for a short period to aid with the seabridge between T&T, however, the Government declined to accept the company’s proposal for the renewal of its contract that year. The vessel has since been sold to a foreign company and is currently being refurbished.

The Atlantic Provider was one of the vessels named to replace the Super Fast Galicia, and it made its maiden voyage to Tobago in April 2017.

Did you Subscribe to our daily Newsletter?

It is Free! Click here to Subscribe

Source: Guardian

1 COMMENT

  1. it is not the first time that a fan that has been let on caught fire which has gone and even gutted the entire ship’s accommodation. It is also very common to see a multi pin extension cord connected to many personnel electrical appliances (mobile phone, I pad etc.) and let on the most convenient place for their charging – i.e. the bunk. The crew however much one writes in the SMS and train them continue to be callus about it.

    Guess it is time intelligent measures are put into place – say a timer based/motion sensor-based cut-out (that cannot be easily played with) to trip power to the cabin (it won’t affect the air conditioning as such). The power could be switched back on once a motion is detected or otherwise.

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.