The Baltic Exchange’s main sea freight index .BADI edged up on Wednesday on higher rates for capesize and panamax vessel segments, says an article published on XM.
- The overall index, which factors in rates for capesize, panamax and supramax shipping vessels carrying dry bulk commodities, gained 5 points to 1,407
- The capesize index .BACI was up 16 points, or about 1%, to 1,662.
- Average daily earnings for capesizes .BATCA, which typically transport 150,000-tonne cargoes for commodities such as iron ore and coal, increased $133 to $13,788.
- Dalian iron ore futures extended gains to a third straight session on prospects of tighter supply of the steel-making ingredient and optimism over steel demand in China. IRONORE/
- The panamax index .BPNI snapped a losing streak of nine sessions, adding 37 points, or about 2.4%, to 1,598.
- Average daily earnings for panamaxes .BPWT, which usually carry coal or grain cargoes of about 60,000 to 70,000 tonnes, increased $335 to $14,386.
- Among smaller vessels, the supramax index .BSIS fell 30 points to 1,285.
Did you subscribe to our daily Newsletter?
It’s Free! Click here to Subscribe