Boy’s Death During Lockdown Fuels Opposition To China’s Zero-Covid Policy


A new surge of criticism over the nation’s strict zero-Covid policy has been brought on by the death of a 3-year-old boy inside a locked-down residential compound in northwest China as a result of a suspected gas leak.

Strict regulations

The boy’s father claimed in a social media post that Covid workers tried to prevent him from leaving their compound in Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu province, to seek treatment for his child – causing a delay that he believes proved fatal.

A social media post by the father on Wednesday about his son’s death was met with an outpouring of public anger and grief, with several related hashtags racking up hundreds of millions of views over the following day on Weibo, China’s Twitter-like platform.

“Three years of a pandemic was his entire life,” a popular comment read.

It’s the latest tragedy to have fueled a growing backlash against China’s unrelenting zero-Covid policy, which continues to upend daily life with incessant lockdowns, quarantines and mass testing mandates even as the rest of the world moves on from the pandemic.

Numerous similar cases have involved people dying after being denied prompt access to emergency medical care during lockdowns – despite the insistence of Chinese officials, including leader Xi Jinping, that the country’s Covid policies “put people and their lives first.”

Locked down for a month

Large parts of Lanzhou, including the neighbourhood where the boy’s family live, have been locked down since early October.

The boy’s father said his wife and child both fell ill around noon on Tuesday, showing signs of gas poisoning.

The father said he made numerous attempts to call both an ambulance and the police but failed to get through.

He said the workers asked him to show a negative Covid test result, but he could not do so as no tests had been carried out at the compound in the previous 10 days.

He grew desperate and eventually carried his son outside, where a “kind-hearted” resident called a taxi to take them to the hospital, he wrote.

However, it was too late by the time they arrived and the doctors failed to save his son.

According to online maps, the hospital is just 3 kilometres (1.86 miles) away from the boy’s home – a 10-minute drive.

But the local police said in a statement late on Tuesday that they had immediately rushed to the scene after receiving a call for help from the public, and helped send two people, including the child, to the hospital 14 minutes later.

CNN contacted both Lanzhou officials and the boy’s father for comment.

They vowed to “seriously deal with” officials and work units that had failed to facilitate a timely rescue for the boy.

Demand for answers

The boy’s death also ignited anger from local residents. Videos circulating on social media show residents taking to the streets to demand an answer from authorities.

One shows a woman shouting at officials wrapped head to toe in hazmat suits. “Ask your leader to come here and tell us what happened today,” she shouts. In another, a man chants, “Give me back my freedom!”

Other videos show several buses containing SWAT police officers arriving at the scene.

One shows rows of officers in hazmat suits marching down the street; several others show residents in a standoff with uniformed police officers who are holding shields and wearing helmets and masks.

CNN cannot independently verify the videos, but a resident who lives nearby confirmed to CNN he saw the SWAT team police moving in.

“They shouted ‘one, two, one (when they marched down the street) so loudly they could be heard from 500 meters away,” the resident said.

He lamented Lanzhou’s “excessive epidemic prevention and lockdowns” and what he said was increasingly stringent censorship.

“Now, even knowing the truth has become an extravagant hope,” he said. “Who knows how many similar incidents have happened across the country?”

In his social media post, the father said he was approached by someone who claimed to work for a “civil organization” and was offered 100,000 yuan (about $14,000) on the condition that he signed an agreement vowing not to seek accountability from the authorities.

“I didn’t sign it. All I want is an explanation (for my son’s death),” he wrote. “I want (them) to tell me directly, why wouldn’t they let me go at the time?”

The father’s posts on Weibo and Baidu, another online site, recounting the incident both disappeared late on Wednesday night.

Did you subscribe to our newsletter?

It’s free! Click here to subscribe!

Source: CNN


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.