Stena Inks The World’s Most Fuel Efficient Ferries Deal
Stena has signed a contract, for an order of four new RoPax ferries with planned delivery during 2019 and 2020, with an option for another four vessels.
Carl-Johan Hagman, Managing Director of Stena Line said,“These ships will be the most fuel efficient ferries in the world and will set a new industry standard when it comes to operational performance, emissions and cost competitiveness, positioning Stena Line to support its customers in the next decades.”
Highlights of the Contract:
- The vessels will be optimized for efficiency and flexibility and will be built by AVIC Shipyard in China.
- The four initial vessels will be used within Stena Lines route network in Northern Europe.
- The Ship design is 50% larger than today’s standard RoPax vessels.
- The vessel incorporates the emission reduction and efficiency initiatives that have been developed throughout the Stena Group.
- The vessels will have a capacity of more than 3000 lane meters in a drive-through configuration.
- The ferries can accommodate about 1000 passengers and offer a full range of passenger services.
- The main engines will be “gas ready”, prepared to be fueled by either methanol or LNG.
Dan Sten Olsson, Chairman in Stena Line said,“We foresee a continued demand growth for short sea services in Northern Europe and in many other parts of the world.” “Through this investment we prepare Stena Line for further growth”, he added.
Source: Stena Line