Grieg Star and G2 Ocean join the research cluster to explore the feasibility of safe autonomous deep-sea ships, says an article published on their website.
Developers have been discussing ideas for autonomous ships for years and also have made several tests, but the technology is still young.
Grieg Star and G2 Ocean, together with 20 other partners, have supported the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in setting up a research centre dedicated to safe autonomous ships.
200 million NOK
The Research Council of Norway has awarded more than 20 million Norwegian kroner to the project.
The goal of SFI Autoship is to ensure that Norwegian players take a leading and leading role in this development, especially concerning technology, business models and security.
To achieve this, the centre has brought together over 20 partners from the Norwegian maritime cluster, including end-users, product and service providers, research institutes, universities and authorities.
The centre’s funding is over 200 million Norwegian kroner over eight years.
Goal to be world-leading
SFI Autoship will develop new knowledge, methods, tools, prototypes, technology and candidates for the Norwegian maritime industry.
Its goal is to be a world-leading centre for research and innovation on autonomous ships, with a particular focus on safe and secure solutions.
Grieg Star will, together with G2 Ocean, contribute on two defined studies:
- Deep-sea bulk cargo transport
- Short sea and coastal cargo transport
Deep-sea bulk cargo transport
- Automated navigation (ocean crossing)
- Improved and automated cargo-handling/crane operations
- Automated engine control room
Short sea and coastal cargo transport
- Unmanned vessel design and operations, including auto-docking and auto-mooring
- Improved logistics, including port and hinterland
- Onshore control centre and communication ship-shore
The other partners are:
- SINTEF Ocean,
- SINTEF Digital,
- Norwegian Maritime Authority,
- The Norwegian Coastal Administration,
- Trondheim harbour,
- Trondheim municipality,
- Kongsberg Group,
- DNV GL,
- Maritime Robotics,
- G2 Ocean,
- Grieg Star,
Did you subscribe to our daily newsletter?
It’s Free! Click here to Subscribe!
Source: Grieg Star