How Angle RNLI’s Crew Conquered Storm Betty’s Wrath

Credit: RNLI Angle/Narbeth and whitland

In the face of nature’s fury, the volunteer crew of Angle RNLI demonstrated unwavering courage and dedication as they embarked on a night of relentless back-to-back yacht rescues amidst the tumultuous storm known as Betty. The Narberth-and-whitland source.

  • Angle RNLI’s brave crew conducted back-to-back yacht rescues amidst Storm Betty’s fierce conditions.
  • Multiple distressed yachts, harsh weather, and quick thinking marked a night of relentless efforts.
  • Through unwavering determination, Angle RNLI successfully brought stranded vessels and their crews to safety.

Battling the Elements

In the face of Storm Betty’s fury, Angle RNLI displayed remarkable bravery as they responded to a series of distress calls from yachts caught in the treacherous conditions. With Force 10 winds gusting at 56 knots and waves reaching 6 meters, the volunteer crew embarked on a night of relentless challenges and heroic efforts.

Immediate Response 

The night’s ordeal began at 6:30pm on August 18 when Angle All-Weather Lifeboat received an urgent Mayday call. A yacht, with a lone person onboard, was drifting perilously ashore beneath Dale Fort. The lifeboat wasted no time, making its way through worsening conditions. Even as the crew raced to reach the scene, a Port Authority pilot vessel and a Svitzer tug, both engaged in escorting an oil tanker, altered their course to offer assistance.

Juggling Multiple Rescues

Upon arrival, the lifeboat crew was met with a dire situation. The yacht was partially submerged against the shore, and the single occupant was trapped onboard. Although the pilot vessel and crew managed to secure a line, the yacht was beyond salvage. The Y boat was swiftly deployed, braving the turbulent sea to rescue the stranded person. Amidst this operation, a third distress call arrived – another yacht was aground off Dale Beach, with one person onboard. Dale Coastguard Rescue Team was on the scene, closely monitoring the situation.

Grit and Determination

As the lifeboat’s crew worked tirelessly to transfer the first casualty to safety, news of a third yacht in trouble emerged. This vessel, located around 30 miles southwest of St Ann’s Head, issued a Mayday call after losing both sails and steering. Adapting swiftly, the crew altered their course to Hazelbeach moorings, where the first casualty was handed over to the Y boat. The All-Weather Lifeboat then embarked on a nearly two-hour journey through the tempestuous seas to reach the third yacht.

Did you subscribe to our daily newsletter?

It’s Free! Click here to Subscribe!



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.