MEPC 80, scheduled for 3-7 July 2023, will focus on adopting an upgraded IMO greenhouse gas strategy. This revised strategy will include specific reduction targets and measures to eliminate emissions from global shipping. Prior to the session, the Intersessional Working Group on Reduction of GHG Emissions from Ships (ISWG-GHG 15) will work on finalizing the strategy from 26-30 June 2023.
Intersessional Working Group on Reduction of GHG Emissions from Ships (ISWG-GHG 15)
– opening speech by IMO Secretary-General Kitack Lim (26 June 2023)
– photos of ISWG-GHG 15 (26 June 2023).
Plenary sessions of the MEPC are open to accredited media. Working groups are closed to the media.
MEPC 80 highlights:
- Tackling climate change – cutting GHG emissions from ships – Including adoption of the revised IMO GHG Strategy
- The energy efficiency of ships
- Ballast water management – including approval of the Convention Review Plan and adoption of amendments to the BWM Convention
- Biofouling management – revised Guidelines
- Designation of a Particularly Sensitive Sea Area
- Underwater noise – revised guidelines
- Tackling marine litter
- Ship-to-ship transfer – proposed Assembly resolution
- Special areas – the effective date for the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden special areas under MARPOL Annexes I and V
- Other matters from the PPR Sub-committee
Did you subscribe to our newsletter?
It’s free! Click here to subscribe!