UPDATE ON INITIATIVES TO PROMOTE SEAFARING CAREERS: STRUCTURED ON-THE-JOB TRAINING (OJT) SEA SERVICE PROGRAMMES
1. The Tripartite Maritime Manpower Taskforce for Seafarers (TF-Sea)1, chaired by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), has launched the SkillsFuture Earn and Learn Programme (ELP) for Maritime (Seafaring Deck Officer) and (Seafaring Marine Engineer) and the Employment Enhancement Programme (EEP) on 1 April 2016. The ELP and EEP support structured on-the-job training (OJT) sea service targeted at diploma graduates from the Singapore Polytechnic and graduates from other training institutes respectively. Employers and interested trainees can start applying from 1 April 2016 onwards. This circular provides information on the ELP and EEP programmes, which supplements the set of seafaring manpower initiatives that were launched on 25 Sep 2015. It should be read together with Shipping Circular No. 26 of 2015 (“New Initiatives to Promote Seafaring Careers”).
2. The ELP and EEP are intended to give Singaporeans a head start in their seafaring careers through a structured OJT and mentorship at sea. The programmes will assist local junior officers with either a foreign-going Certificate of Competency Class 3 for deck officers (CoC Class 3) or Class 5 for marine engineers (CoC Class 5) to deepen his/her skills through a sea attachment (in accordance with the STCW code). This will allow the junior officer to be better prepared to attain their CoC Class 2 and CoC Class 1 qualifications, with a view to take up senior shipboard positions.
3. Each junior officer who embarks on either of the programmes will benefit from a structured OJT and mentorship at sea, as well as an incentive of up to $5,000 for the successful completion of the programme. Employers will be eligible for a grant of up to $15,000 per trainee. The eligibility criteria and more information on the programmes can be found at the annex of this circular.
4. Upon completion of the programme, the trainee will be awarded a Certificate of Performance by the programme manager.
5. The trainee will also be awarded a Letter of Eligibility from MPA to enrol for the Combined CoC Class 1 and 2 courses for Deck Officer or Marine Engineer Officer.
6. For further details on the ELP and EEP, contact the following programme managers:
- SkillsFuture Earn and Learn Programme (ELP) for Maritime: Singapore Polytechnic – for fresh graduates from Diploma in Nautical Studies with CoC Class 3 certification or from Diploma in Marine Engineering with CoC Class 5 certification (within 12 months from graduation or ORD date, whichever is later)
- Capt Satinder Singh Virdi (Email: email@example.com)
- Mr S Premananthan (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Website for further information: https://industry.sp.edu.sg/skills-future/
- Employment Enhancement Programme (EEP): Wavelink Maritime Institute – forHolders of CoC Class 3 certification or CoC Class 5certification who are not graduates from the Singapore Polytechnic
- Ms Hasila Binte Ghazali and Mr Anthony Loh (Email: email@example.com)
7. Any queries regarding this circular should be directed to the Seafarers Management Department (Email: TF_Sea@mpa.gov.sg; Tel: +65 6375 6224). The contact details of the rest of the officers in the Seafarers Management Department are as follows:
- Mr Wong Kai Cheong (Email: WONG_Kai_Cheong@mpa.gov.sg; Tel: +65 6375 6216)
- Mr Ang Shao Jie (Email: ANG_Shao_Jie@mpa.gov.sg; Tel: +65 6375 6402)
- Mr Mun Wei-Jun (Email: MUN_Wei-Jun@mpa.gov.sg; Tel: +65 6375 6214)
TAN SUAN JOW
DIRECTOR OF MARINE
MARITIME AND PORT AUTHORITY OF SINGAPORE