Satoru Iwata president of Nintendo Co., Ltd passed away on 11th July 2015 due to cancer.
Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co., Ltd has announced that its president and a talented programmer Satoru Iwata has died of cancer at the age of 55. He underwent a surgery last year and resumed to office shortly. He was a man of success who led Nintendo into the rapidly growing mobile gaming sector.
- Mr Iwata started out as a programmer in a Nintendo subsidiary(HAL Laboratory) in the 1980s.
- He has worked on games like Balloon Fight and EarthBound.
- He became a Director of Nintendo in 2002.
- Under his leadership, the company launched its hugely successful Nintendo DS in 2004.
- Two years later they gave another hit launch of Wii.
“Mr Iwata was a titan – he certainly will be missed,” Said, Marc Einstein, head of digital media at Frost & Sullivan in Tokyo.
“Nintendo is really at a cross roads.” Said Mr Einstein
Tributes coming up in social media saying:
“Thank you for everything, Mr. Iwata.”
“Nintendo might not be the most profitable company, but it’s always made games with a heart. #ThankYouIwata #Nintendo.”
“Farewell, Satoru Iwata. He brought a wealth of imagination to the world of #Nintendo!”
The shares of Nintendo dropped 0.7% in early monday trading. The successor of Iwata will most likely be someone internal. It is expected to be someone who is serious about that step into mobile gaming.