Ocean carriers Pile On Capacity And Dominate Intra-Europe Short Sea Market

76

The major container lines continue to dominate regional carriers and commercial feeder operators in the intra-European shortsea markets.

The ocean carriers are keen to tap into niche European markets, as well as operate more of their own feeders and shuttle services in order to expand their global footprints.

Intra-european market share

According to new analysis by Alphaliner, in the past twelve months, ocean carriers had a combined intra-European market share of 71%, leaving just 29% of the market for the traditional regional carriers and feeder operators.

CMA CGM

CMA CGM is in second spot, with 181,177 teu of capacity deployed across its intra-European network, up from 157,561 teu in the previous 12-month period.

Meanwhile, CMA CGM’s market share slipped to 15.8%, from 16.2%, while Cosco’s share fell to 5.6%, from 6.7%.

“With 50 containerships deployed, Maersk now operates an additional seven ships, while at the same time it has increased its average vessel size by more than 100 teu, from 2,558 teu to 2,672 teu,” said Alphaliner.

The consultant added that Maersk had launched three new intra-Europe services in the past 12 months, adding capacity of 6,500 teu, including a Germany-Sweden-Denmark loop operated by the world’s first methanol dual-fuel containership – the 2,136 teu Laura Maersk.

Unifeeder overtaken

Elsewhere, Unifeeder has been overtaken by the Turkish carrier Arkas Line as the largest independent shortsea operator in Europe, and Arkas Group, which includes its feeder arm, EMES, just pipped the DP World-owned operator to become the fifth-largest intra-European operator, with an increase in capacity deployed to 54,514 teu, from 44,892 the year before.

However, this may all change over the coming months: the next intra-European capacity analysis produced by Alphaliner is likely to show the effects of the Red Sea crisis, which has seen several carriers transhipping significant Asian cargo, destined for the east Mediterranean, at North European ports for onward relay.

Did you subscribe to our daily newsletter?

It’s Free! Click here to Subscribe

Source : Loadstar

 

2 COMMENTS

Comments are closed.