A moving tanker’s anchor entangled with a berthed vessel mooring ropes which ripped apart the pipes causing the oil leak into the river at Chittagong port.
A tanker vessel of the Bangladesh Shipping Corporation berthed at the River Mooring 7 leaked oil when its anchor entangled with a mooring rope of chemical product tanker which were attached to the buoys.
At the scene:
- The tanker unloaded around 7,481 tonnes of palm oil from Indonesia at the port.
- A jetty was damaged during the incident.
- Details yet to ascertain:
- Duration of the oil discharge.
- Total volume of the oil leaked into the water.
No details of the incident were provided by the Chittagong Port Authorities.
Source: The Daily Star