According to an article published in Safety4sea, the Port of Singapore experienced strong growth in the past decade.
Growth on an all time high
- In particular, container throughput in 2019 reached an all-time high of 37.2 million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs), during challenging global economic conditions.
- Dr Lam Pin Min, Senior Minister of State for Transport and Health, announced the 2019 performance of the Port of Singapore. Specifically, container throughput in Singapore reached 37.2 million TEUs in 2019, increasing 1.6% from the 36.6 million TEUs registered in 2018.
- In addition, the Port of Singapore handled a total of 626.2 million tonnes of cargo in 2019, while the vessel arrival tonnage hit 2.85 billion Gross Tonnage (GT) in 2019.
Top bunkering and registry port in the World
- Furthermore, Singapore remains a key bunkering port, registering a bunker sale volume of 47.5 million tonnes in 2019.
Finally, the Singapore Registry of Ships ranks amongst the top ship registries in the world, as the total tonnage of ships under the Singapore flag reached 97.3 million GT in 2019.
- Did you subscribe to our daily newsletter?
- It’s Free! Click here to Subscribe!
- Source: Safety4sea