Singapore’s Sembcorp Marine on Tuesday (Nov 3) opened a new steel structure fabrication workshop – the largest of its kind in Southeast Asia.
Sembcorp Marine launched its new state-of-the-art steel structure fabrication workshop which is set to boost the company’s steel fabrication capacity for its future needs. Dr Beh Swan Gin Chairman of the Economic Development Board officially opened it on 3rd November 2015 at Sembcorp Marine’s Tuas Boulevard Yard.
- Opened at 120,000-square-metre facility largest in Southeast Asia.
- Houses five bays for pre-treatment, cutting and assembly.
- Workshop is designed ergonomically to facilitate seamless work flow.
- Workshop focussed on :
- Computerised systems,
- Mechanised steel-cutting and welding equipment,
- High-capacity cranes,
- For every tonne of steel fabricated work process to be streamlined
- To optimise production efficiency,
- To reduces man-hours and production time to half of previous process requirements
- Focussed and featured its new facility including a fully-automated panel production line that delivers high quality welding precision and efficiency; as well as capabilities for producing steel components of customised shapes and sizes.
“Local champions like Sembcorp Marine have an important role to play in shaping the future of the offshore and marine industry. Today, the sector is a significant contributor to our economy, providing good jobs for Singaporeans, but the continued transformation of the industry is critical for its long-term success. Sembcorp Marine is a good example of how companies can enhance competitiveness through the use of innovative solutions,” said Dr Beh Swan Gin during the opening ceremony.
Sembcorp Marine President & CEO Wong Weng Sun expressed that “This new facility will integrate with all other capabilities in our flagship Tuas Boulevard Yard and allow us to more effectively offer customers a one-stop shop for offshore and marine engineering solutions. It is also a key feature of our ongoing development to turn the Tuas Boulevard Yard into a high-tech production hub that underpins Sembcorp Marine’s ability to compete on value and scale.”
About Sembcorp Marine
Sembcorp Marine provides innovative engineering solutions to the global offshore and marine industry, drawing upon more than 50 years of track record. The company’s customers include major oil companies, drilling contractors, shipping companies as well as owners and operators of floating production units.
The company operates shipyards strategically located in
- The United Kingdom and
Sembcorp Marine now focuses on four key capabilities across its global operations, namely,
- Rigs & Floaters;
- Repairs & Upgrades;
- Offshore Platforms; and
- Specialised Shipbuilding.