ClassNK, Tokyo-based International Classification Society, has provided Approval in Principle to the 98,000 DWT bulk carrier fuelled by LNG.
Maritime Innovation Japan Corporation has developed the concept design.
- The vessel will have 2,000m3 capacity LNG tank (IMO Type B) and an LNG fuel supply system.
- The main engine and main generator engines will operate using dual fuel.
- The concept was approved based on the International Code of Safety for Ship using Gases or other Low Flashpoint Fuels (IGF Code), which will come into effect from 1 January 2017 and ClassNK’s Guidelines for Gas Fueled Ships.
- With the approval of this design:
- ClassNK contributes in spreading the environmentally friendly shipping practices.
- The future use of natural gas as a ship’s fuel will continue to increase.
Source: Class Nk