In a major development, NYK Line has announced that the very large crude oil carrier (VLCC) Tanzawa, the first new NYK-owned vessel to include a SOx scrubber, has been inducted into the NYK fleet, says a press release published on their website.
About the Scrubber Equipped Vessel
On October 3, a naming and delivery ceremony was held at the Kure shipyard of Japan Marine United Corporation, and attended by Akira Kono, NYK managing corporate officer, and other related parties.
The new vessel is equipped with a scrubber that is compliant with the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) more stringent SOx emission regulation, which is scheduled to become effective in January 2020.
How good is it?
- The ship will be about 23% more energy efficient (reducing CO2 emissions per unit of transport), exceeding the IMO EEDI phase 2 requirements that will become effective in 2020.
- In addition, a highly corrosion resistance steel has been used in the cargo tank, thus making anti-rust paint unnecessary.
- The refrigerant used in the onboard refrigerator and air conditioner is also compliant with environmental regulations, thus making the ship a more environment-friendly chemical tanker.
- For further safety and optimal vessel operation, NYK has employed its “integrated information and bridge system,” which an optimally, ergonomically arranged bridge layout, digital instruments, and a 360-degree view from the cockpit.
NYK continues to contribute to stable crude oil transportation to meet customers’ demand, and the company is making efforts to contribute to realizing a sustainable society through the operation of environment-friendly ships.
- Length overall: 339.5 meters
- Breadth: 60.00 meters
- Depth: 28.50 meters
- Gross tonnage 160,597 tons
- Deadweight tonnage: 311,374 tons
- Flag: Panama
Did you subscribe to our daily newsletter?
It’s Free! Click here to Subscribe!
Source: NYK Line